6 top tips for looking after your jewellery
Looking after jewellery isn't hard, you just need to know a few basic tips that will keep your jewellery looking as good as the day you first received it.
Firstly, its super important to know what silver actually is?
What is sterling silver?
Most of my Ice Skating Jewellery is made from sterling silver (unless it's solid gold). This is an alloy made from 92.5% pure silver (which is very soft) and the rest is pure copper (7.5%) which when combined gives the silver some hardness. The resulting alloy is perfect for creating beautiful necklaces, bracelets and earrings.
It's also worth clarifying that sterling silver never contains nickel, putting that concern to rest.
1. Remove your jewellery when applying beauty products
Unfortunately, silver has the tendency to react with lots of things which makes it go dull or brown. Hand creams, moisturisers, deodorant, perfumes, hairspray and household cleaning products all contain chemicals that make silver go dull and lifeless. Always take your jewellery off when you apply any creams/moisturiser/perfume. This will help to retain the shine on your jewellery.
2. Wrap up your jewellery when not wearing it
When you are not wearing your jewellery, keep it dry and wrapped up in acid-free tissue (similar to how Ice Skating Jewelry is packaged upon purchase) this will stop the silver from reacting with the oxygen and keep it super shiny.
Leaving your jewellery out on your bedside table for long periods of time will also make silver go dull as it will react with the oxygen/air. Investing in a specialist jewellery box with seperate compartments to keep each piece of jewellery separated and away from air will also help to keep your pieces pristine.
I would also suggest not keeping your coveted necklace in one of those tiny satin or cotton drawstring jewellery bags as it will still react with oxygen from inside the bag.
3. Taking a plunge?
I cannot stress this enough: refrain from wearing silver jewellery in swimming pools, hot tubs, hot springs, or even the sea. The chemicals and salt in these environments will cause your jewellery to turn black.
Restoring jewellery from such a disheartening tarnished state is unquestionably a task best left to a professional jeweller.
4. Invest in a silver polishing cloth
Polished silver will benefit from an occasional rub with a specialist silver cloth. The cloth is made from 100% soft cotton and impregnated with anti-tarnish chemicals which will help to keep your jewellery shinier and cleaner for longer.
So be more like Aladdin and rub your jewellery!
Should you believe in old wives' tales or extravagant claims on social media when it comes to cleaning silver?
Websites promoting the use of ketchup, hand sanitiser, cornflour, or toothpaste to restore the sparkle of your jewellery are deceptive and might actually cause more harm than good.
Immersing your jewellery in gin or vodka won't give it a thorough cleaning; it's better reserved for a cocktail mixing session.
I'm also a bit cautious about the aluminum foil and baking soda technique that's been making the rounds on social media as a silver-cleaning hack. While it certainly has an effect, leaving your jewellery in the solution for an extended period can create minuscule pitted textures on the metal. As a result, your jewellery might tarnish more swiftly from that point onward.
6. Dip your silver
Believe it or not, the simplest way to keep silver tarnish free is to give it an occasional soak in hot soapy water. You can use a soft toothbrush to get into the hard to reach areas, an old toothbrush head with a bit of soap on an electric toothbrush works brilliantly! Rinse in clean water and dry really well. Finally, buff with a soft cotton cloth or a specialist silver cleaning cloth.
You can also use specialist silver dip or silver foaming polish which will brighten up your silver jewellery. Just make sure you rinse your pieces well and that they are completely dry before storing or wearing.
So that's it, 6 perfect tips for keeping your shiny silver jewellery in tip top condition.
*The above tips do not apply to oxidised jewellery or gold jewellery- click here for details of how to look after this jewellery.
- Ice Skating Jewellery offers mini silver polishing cloths that are ideal for maintaining your Ice Skating Jewellery. They also provide mini travel jewellery cases, perfect for safeguarding your jewellery while you're at the gym, going for a run, or enjoying a swim.
- Furthermore, Ice Skating Jewellery provides a comprehensive service to rejuvenate your tarnished and cherished jewellery, restoring it to its former glory. Get in touch for additional information.